Volunteer Leadership Position
The Washington Heights Chamber Orchestra (founded 2015) seeks an Executive Director (ED) on an approximately 10 hour per week volunteer basis. The ED will work closely with the Music Director and have the opportunity to build upon a solid three-year history of successful and impactful programming in Upper Manhattan.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the ED will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for the WHCO’s programs, expansion, and execution of its mission.
Leadership & Management
- Carry out the mission and vision of the WHCO as directed by Board
- Build and cultivate a volunteer (and eventual staff) model that can support and grow the WHCO
- Maintain full awareness of the complete financial, statistical, and accounting records of the WHCO
- Develop and implements annual operating budget in cooperation with the board
Fundraising & Communications
- Oversee and help to write and implement all communications and marketing strategy
- Develop robust grants calendar and facilitate all relevant writing processes and applications
- Forge partnerships with local businesses, institutions, and grant-giving organizations to spread awareness of WHCO to increase audience and stakeholders
- Advanced degree or currently working towards an advanced degree with a focus on non-profit leadership, specifically in the arts
- Commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to coach staff, volunteers, and board, and develop teams
- Track record of setting and achieving strategic objectives, including fundraising and managing a budget
- Excellent oral and written communications skills with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders; Spanish fluency a plus
- Passion for the arts and classical music, idealism, integrity, and strong self-motivation
Many aspects of the job can be performed remotely, however Executive Director must be able to commit to in-person working meetings with board members, volunteers, and Music Director in Washington Heights, NYC on a regular basis. WHCO would like the ED to be able to commit to the position for at least one and half years – until Summer 2019.
The Washington Heights Chamber Orchestra is a non-profit 501(c)(3) performing arts organization whose mission is to engage the people of Washington Heights and neighboring communities through exemplary musical performances and innovative educational programming. In the 2017-18 season, the musicians of the WHCO are presenting 10 public concerts free to the community, including chamber music, orchestral programs, and solo recitals.
If interested, send a resume, cover letter, and additional writing sample to: